What the Wenches Are Reading





Click through to see what we're reading this week! 







Angela: This week I’ve finished Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder’s Arc #2) by Jeff Salyards. I thought it was a bit slow moving for the first half of the book, but by the end the payoff was worth it, plus a few things needed to happen in the slow first half for the ending to occur. Looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy Chains of the Heretic. I’ve now moved onto Saint’s Blood (Greatcoats #3) by Sebastien de Castell. I’m looking forward to another swashbuckling adventure! Hopefully I’ll learn to like Ethalia a little bit better. If ever there was a love interest that a book to do without, this is it. Don’t let that put you off. It’s a very minor part of the series. Well at this stage.

Anne:  I finished up Twice Bitten and decided I needed a break from the CLV world for a bit. So, I plowed through Abi Roux' Part & Parcel and moved on to #3 of the Cut & Run series, Fish & Chips. I'm enjoying being back in that world again. I've missed Ty, Zane, and the Sidewinder boys. On the audiobook front, I'm more than 3/4 of the way through An Echo in the Bone. It's getting really good now, even the William and John stories that were boring me before, are interesting now.  

Barb: I'm still reading Everything I Left Unsaid by Molly O'Keefe. And I haven't gotten very far. I guess this was one of those "distracted and can't focus on reading" weeks. It happens. 

Care: I've been fighting some kind of weirdo migraine-style headaches whenever I use my eyes for anything smaller than picking up Froot Loops, so reading has been incredibly difficult this week. However! I have a Kindle now, which has come to the rescue! Between enlarging text and audiobooks, I've been able to get a few things read, mercifully! I made my way through Crash & Burn, Shock & Awe, and Cross & Crown before the headaches started. After, I made it through Part & Parcel, and am now wandering through Caught Running while I wait to get into the doctor and sort this shit out!

Kathi: I continued reading Eligible, but deliberately slowed my pace (which was not easy) so I’d have a chance to finish a review I’m writing before I needed to review this book! It’s a delightful read, so far. On the treadmill, I finished listening to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which was highly recommended to me and I now highly recommend to others! I started listening to Chasing the Scream: The First and Last Days of the War on Drugs. I might have to add a punching bag to my treadmill to alleviate my frustration with the “plot”.         

Merit:  I read a very different kind of book this week: Gut by Giulia Enders. I don’t remember myself enjoying a science or biology book that much. This is the story of one of our body’s most underrated organs, and Ms. Enders presents it in a fun way. I didn’t know the level of importance of the bacteria's role on our health and our mood and weight. Written in a simple, witty, accessible way, it is a quick, enjoyable read. (The original book is in German.)

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)