Book Series Review: Graveyard Queen by Amanda Stevens


Every now and then you stumble on a series that is just right up your alley. The series Graveyard Queen has been a wonderful find just recently. It's a little bit creepy, a little bit eerie and just the right amount of chemistry between the characters to keep me enthralled in the story. I'm not a person who tends to read anything creepy, but don't be worried. I didn't have any sleepless nights after reading any of the books. The books are part murder mystery and part ghost story. I found the combination an interesting mix that made me keen to find out what happens next. I also read the books one after the other and that is always a good sign.

There are currently three books published The Restorer, The Kingdom and The Prophet. Book 4 The Visitor is expected to be published sometime in 2015.

From Goodreads.
My name is Amelia Gray. I'm a cemetery restorer who sees ghosts. In order to protect myself from the parasitic nature of the dead, I've always held fast to the rules passed down from my father. But now a haunted police detective has entered my world and everything is changing, including the rules that have always kept me safe.

Check after the jump to find out why I enjoyed this series so much.


No expectations.

I didn't have any expectations when I cranked open the first book, The Restorer. I had never heard of Amanda Stevens. The book had only caught my interest due to a couple of Goodreads friends giving the book a high rating. So no hype, no buzz and I was prepared to give the book a chance. Boy, am I glad I did. Sometimes it just refreshing to read a book by an author you don't know. There aren't any preconceived ideas about how the story will unfold.

Brief rundown.


Amelia Gray sees ghosts. You would have thought the last place a person who sees ghosts would want to work is in graveyards, but that's exactly what Amelia Gray does. The beauty of graveyards is that often they are hallowed ground and thus offer protection from ghosts. For if a ghost attaches itself to you, it will want to slowly suck your life away.

For twenty-seven years, she has lived by her Papa's rules.

  • Never acknowledge the dead. 
  • Never stray far from hallowed ground. 
  • Never associate with those who are haunted. 
  • Never, ever tempt fate.


Unfortunately in walks one John Devlin. A man haunted by his past, he is about to test the boundaries Amelia has so rigidly lived by for so long.   Devlin needs Amelia's expertise to try to solve a murder after a body is located in Oak Grove Cemetery, which she is currently restoring. In order to catch the killer, Amelia has to call on all her resources. Yes, she gets scared, yes, she has trouble to deal with, but she faces challenges head on and I admire that about her. Add the fact that Devlin is haunted by two ghosts makes for an interesting read.

One of the central elements of The Restorer and The Prophet is Charleston, South Carolina, USA.  It's southern charm shines through in the story and I desperately wanted to try some iced tea. Plus it makes me want to visit this historic town to look at The Battery and Rainbow Row.  Dare I say it, to also visit Oak Grove Cemetery, to breathe in the setting of The Restorer


Final thoughts.


The only off-putting aspect for some readers is that The Kingdom doesn't really follow on from The Restorer. This wasn't a problem for me, but I have heard it from other readers of the series. The Kingdom almost feels like a standalone in the scheme of the series. The Prophet felt like a more natural progression from The Restorer.  We see characters again that we first met in The Restorer, but who don't make an appearance in The Kingdom. It's an interesting way to write, when whilst this isn't a romance, Devlin appears to be the love interest. Hence the reader might expect to see Devlin in The Kingdom and might be a little disappointed when they don't. That being said, I think The Kingdom was actually my favourite out of the three books. It felt more eerie to me and the whole atmosphere of the novel was a little bit more creepy. Plus, I think Amelia can hold the flow of the story just fine without Devlin being in it.

Amelia Gray is well worth backing and as she breaks the rules her Papa has had her live by it will be interesting to see what direction her story takes next.  How will she keep the ghosts at bay?



Have you got any little known authors who you've read by chance. Let me know below.

Comments

  1. I have the first book on my TBR list, hope to read it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it Merit :).

      Delete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)