What the Wenches Are Reading

I love reading like Marilyn sometimes!

Click through to see what the Wenches Are Reading this week, and share your list in the comments below! Seriously, what are you reading? Barb doesn't know what to read next!


 
Amanda:  I'm still reading Archangel's Shadows by Nalini Singh. I'm really not very happy with it, but I'm forging on.

Angela: This week I read the fantastic The Winter Long (October Daye #8) by Seanan McGuire. It was brilliant and might just be my favourite of the whole series. October Daye kicks butt as usual even though some of the blood reviving scenes were a little gruesome for me. Also read Angelfall by Susan Ee and yes Zee is right again!!!!!!! Merit originally discovered this gem and what a wonder read and a great WTF moment near the end. Can't wait to read the next book.

Barb: This week I decided to revisit one of my favorite PNR heroes, Dageus MacKeltar, and reread The Dark Highlander. I first read KMM's Highlander books about three years ago while in the thrall of the Fever world. They were a wonderful foundation for events that happen in the Fever books, and I loved the stand-alone romances back then. Fast forward a few years, and I probably didn't love it quite as much. I'm glad I revisited though. Dageus is still my favorite MacKeltar. Yes, including Christian. I also read Fool's Gold, a Sabina Kane prequel novella, about Sabina's first assignment. I really enjoyed seeing green Sabina and getting more insight into how she became the broken assassin we know and love. I have no idea where I'm going next. Any suggestions?

Donna: This week I read Burn For Me by Ilona Andrews. It wasn't quite my cup of tea, and I moved on to Written in Red by Anne Bishop. I am just loving it! This is the first book in a really different series. The world building is complex, fraught with danger, mystery and intrigue. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it, though. I have about a third of the book to read, and I'm annoyed that I have to go to work instead of staying home to finish it.

Kathi: I hopped on the bandwagon and read Burn For Me! To repeat what several other Wenches have said, for me this was an irresistible and thoroughly engrossing read. It was perfectly paced, funny, and fun, and I loved the characters! Hope we don’t have to wait too long for the next book.

Merit: Sorry, didn’t have much time to read this week. I’m still reading Susanna Kearsley’s book, The Winter Sea. It is a haunting, compelling story. The title’s subject - the winter sea - plays an integral part in this tale, substantially and mentally.

Zee: After Burn For Me, I wanted to pick up Stephen King's Revival, but didn't get a chance to sit there undisturbed and just give it all my attention for however long I wanted. So I picked up Thea Harrison's Dragon Bound (Elder Races #1) and Storm's Heart (Elder Races #2). I didn't enjoy them as much as I'd hoped, there were things I liked and things I really didn't. While I found the world fascinating, the female lead in the first book fell a little flat. And I really wanted to like her (because her name was Pia, like the friend who recommended it and who is awesome.) Ended up not caring about her. Didn't hate her, but didn't like her either. The second book I liked the female lead, but the male lead put me off a wee bit. The first book also had a lot of tropes I find very problematic, but despite it all, not a bad read when you're bored. Second one was better for me. (Also SO ecstatic Ange enjoyed Angelfall!!!)  

Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)