What the Wenches are Reading

Just two short weeks until the hotly anticipated (around here at least!) conclusion to Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries. Many Wenches are gearing up for the final chapter in Sookie's saga with rereads of some, if not all, of the previous books. In addition to SVM, Kim Harrison's Hollows series is still captivating a couple of Wenches. Click through to see what else we're reading this week.

And don't forget to tell us what you are reading in the comments!



Amanda: This week I read The Flesh Cartel (#3 and #4) by Rachel Haimowitz and Heidi Belleau. I really needed a change of pace, and TFC definitely delivers. It's absolutely brutal, but it's very good. I try to not look too closely at why I like it. Haha! I also am starting my Southern Vampire Mysteries reread this week. I plan to start with #10, Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris.

Anne: I finished my SVM reread with plenty of time to spare. So I went back to Vlad and Leila and Once Burned. It remains to be seen if Vlad can pull my mind away from Ty, Zane, Nick, & Kelly. But I have faith in him. He's a force to be reckoned with.

Angela: There is only one series in town for me, and it is the Sookie Stackhouse Reread. Dead as a Doornail done. Definitely Dead now being consumed. I never really liked Definitely Dead a whole lot, but I have to say this time around I'm enjoying it. I can't believe how much actually happens in this book.

Barbara: I'm still reading For a Few Demons More. Real life and Spring are keeping me from reading as much as I would like. I hope to finish it this week.

Beta: Again, I haven't had much time to read lately, but when I have had the chance to get my hands on my (e)books I have been revisiting Sookie and her friends... and enemies... and it has been a very random reading and mostly for research purposes, but it's so nice to meet 'old friends'. I can't believe it's only two weeks until Dead Ever After, yikes!

Donna: This week I finished rereading Deadlocked in preparation for the final Sookie Stackhouse novel, which is dropping in just a couple of weeks (May 7th, in case you didn't notice the countdown timer to the right). I don't know about you, but I always find final books of favorite series sad because I'm saying goodbye to some good friends. I read them very fast (usually in one sitting), then get up and do the things I should have been doing instead of reading like a maniac. Once my conscience is relatively clear, I pick them up again and start rereading at a slower pace. I find that this way I know the major plot points and how the series ends in a short period of time, and pick up on all the interesting nuances on the reread.

Katherine: Trying to make it through my SVM reread, but I'm started to get twitchy. I hear Dublin calling. Haven't been there for months, and every song lately reminds me of Barrons...

Kathi: Finished Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade and am enjoying getting to know this secondary character from the Outlander series a little better (and getting glimpses of Jamie Fraser all along!). But I'm traveling this week, and wasn't sure what would keep my interest amid distractions in noisy surroundings. I enjoy having a book I can either read or listen to, depending on circumstances, and let my trip sneak up on me without having something suitable set aside. So I found a historical novel called Katherine by Anya Seton, based on the true story of Katherine Swynford, whose lifelong affair and eventual marriage to John of Gaunt in the 1300s spawned the Tudor dynasty. Their daughter became the mother of Henry VII. In addition, five U.S. Presidents are descended from them, and Chaucer was her brother-in-law. According to my research, she enjoyed a fascinating life that should make for an interesting read, and the first few chapters have sucked me right in!

Merit: Last week I didn't have time to read; this week is a compensation. I finished reading The Good, The Bad, and The Undead, Kim Harrison's 2nd book of The Hollows series. Also read Kim Harrison's Undead in The Garden of Good and Evil, a novella in the anthology Dates From Hell. Currently reading book 3: Every Which Way But Dead. This series is a big surprise in a good way. I was hesitant during the first book, I feared that it would just be more of the same old same, a witch fights demons...but there is nothing boring about Rachel Morgan and the gang! It just gets better.

Veronica: I'm about 15% into Definitely Dead. At this pace, I'm definitely behind on my SVM reread. I'm thinking I could skip DD altogether, Babe, and go straight to one of my favorites, All Together Dead.

Zee: Nothing this week either!! Just have no time! But want to get on my SVM reread already!


Comments

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)