Archangels Rule the World



Guild Hunter Series by Nalini Singh

Archangel's Storm, the fifth book in the Guild Hunter series, is being released this week.
Read on to find out why you should catch up on the first 4, and then read about Jason in book 5!




I discovered Guild Hunter in May 2011, when the Archangel Raphael beat Eric Northman in the Vampire Book Club’s Alpha Showdown.  The Proof  I couldn't believe it!  I needed to know who this Raphael joker was that beat my main vampire, Eric.  So I set to reading the first book in the Guild Hunter series, Angels' Blood

Angels’ Blood starts off about a vampire hunter, Elena, who is hired by the Archangel Raphael for a hunt.  There are 10 Archangels, called the Cadre of Ten, who are the most powerful beings in the world.  In this world, the angels make vampires.  Vampires that are made must serve their angel for 100 years.  The immortals in this book are not used to feeling human emotions.  They are cruel and cold.  When someone says they want to kill you, they aren't kidding.  They are really going after your ass.  There is also a futuristic feel to the world.    

Raphael and Elena
Elena’s job mostly entails tracking down vampires that break their contract.  Her talent lies in being able to scent them.  She is the best at what she does and handy with a blade.  There is a lot of sexual tension between Elena and Raphael, and it was well written.  That keeps us well-occupied until we get into the meat of the story, which is the hunt she was hired for.  By the time she really gets into the hunt, all I care about is when these two are going to finally give into their craving for each other because I can cut the sexual tension with a knife.  

Raphael has an intense personality.  He is frightening and hot as hell.
Elena glanced at the bloodstained napkin. "And if I fail?" "Don't fail, Elena." His eyes were mild but his smile, it spoke of things better not said aloud. "You intrigue me--I'd hate to have to punish you." ~ Angels' Blood
I think he's the only paranormal character I've read that I truly felt was frightening.  Like Jericho Barrons (Fever Series) says, "judge me by my actions".  Well, Raphael's actions were scaring the hell out me!  I thought we were cool in book 2.  Then in book 3, he was scaring me again!    

Elena and Raphael's relationship is not your typical romance.  Raphael is also a real subtle dude and full of hidden meanings.  My favorite example of this comes in Archangel's Kiss:
She threw the knife with deadly accuracy. Raphael caught it in midair--by the blade. His blood flowed scarlet against the gold of his skin. "Was it not you who bled the last time?" he asked conversationally...
That is as good as an ILU coming from Raphael!  They don’t speak of love; they show their love.  Elena was afraid of him sometimes, but then she'd convince herself that he would never hurt her.  He has also said he would never hurt her.   His POV shows how much he loves her and would never hurt her, but Elena's perception of him is sometimes unnerving.   There is an edge to their relationship that is thrilling, dark, and very different from other books I have read.  Once you get to know both of them, you can see that they really are perfect for each other!

Raphael's Seven
After my glowing praise of Raphael and Elena, you may think I’m done, but no!  We get the bonus of AMAZING side characters.  Raphael’s Seven are the 3 vampires and 4 angels that have his back.  They are intensely loyal to him, to the point that even Elena has to prove to them that she is worthy of Raphael.  Raphael's Seven:  Dmitri, Jason, Venom, Illium,  Naasir, Aodhan, and Galen.  I truly hope that each of The Seven will have their own story.  Galen has already been featured in a novella since he has already found the love of his life, Jessamy.  Look for a future post featuring The Seven to learn more about each of these amazing characters!  

The Books
The first three books in the series focus on Raphael and Elena, with enough about the Seven that will leave you craving for more.  The action and the Archangels keep you on your toes.  The first book has an ending with a twist, and it left me eager to read the second book.  Each book has a mystery to be solved.  

In the fourth book, Archangel's Blade, the leader of the Seven, Dmitri, finds his HEA.  Dmitri, himself, is a fascinatingly erotic character.  From Elena's first, exciting and very sexy encounter with him in Angels' Blood, Dmitri has been on my radar.  Tiny confession.  I did not care that Elena was Raphael's.  Every time Dmitri let loose his scent and turned her on, I was panting.  Unquestionably, Dmitri's book, Archangel's Blade is my favorite of the series.  Be sure to have a box of tissues handy.  Not just one tissue.  The box.
     
I also highly recommend reading Angels’ Flight, an anthology of novellas featuring Angels' Wolf, Angels' Judgement, Angels' Pawn, and the never-before-published Angels' Dance.  The novellas are the same quality of writing that you find in the full length novels.

The fifth book, Archangel's Storm, features Jason, and is due out September 4th.  I can't wait to find out more about this enigmatic member of Raphael's Seven!  If dark, sexy, and mysterious paranormal romances are your cup of tea, then check out Guild Hunter Series!


Book List:
Angels’ Blood (Raphael & Elena)
Archangel’s Kiss (Raphael & Elena)
Archangel’s Consort (Raphael & Elena)
Archangel’s Blade (Dmitri)
Angels’ Flight (anthology of Guild Hunter novellas)
Archangel’s Storm (Jason - release date 9/4/2012)

Comments

  1. Great post Amanda! I read them earlier this year and loved them. I'm really looking forward to Archangel's Storm, and there's only two more days to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! I am so ready for Jason's book! I can not imagine how it will go down since we know so little about him.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Amanda! We need an Illium book. I loves me some Illium! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaym! No doubt about an Illium book. He's my favorite, as you know, but I promised to share him with you. ;-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved it, Amanda! And even though there are no spoilers (What a pity---> said Olga, the Ultimate Spoiler Whore. I don't know why I bothered with being Olga Deniels, should have taken the name Olga SpoHo instead) you left me itchy about Dmitri's book. I have my Kindle and a box of tissues handy. I suppose I will also need an extra pair of panties, but I don't keep them too far away.
      Have read the first three Guild Hunter novels and absolutely loved them all. I can't imagine how could Archangel's Blade be even better. I don't think that's possible, but color me intrigued!

      Delete
    2. LOL I know, right? How can the books get better after Elena/Raphael, but I can't wait for you to find out how awesome Dmitri's book is! Olga SpoHo--why didn't we think of that?!

      Delete
    3. Wonderful Post Amanda. Olga, I agree Olga SpoHo suits you ;).

      Delete
  4. Um....this makes me want to pick up Dmitri's book YESTERDAY! Still mad at Raphael for beating Eric :p

    Great post Amanda!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zee! Give Raphael a chance, the main course, and you get Dmitri for dessert. Dmitri and V'lane from Fever series are very much alike.
      ;-)

      Delete
    2. I think Raphael is one of the most scary-ass Alphas I've ever read. Right there along with Barrons and Curran.

      Delete
    3. I wish I hadn't read that. Comparing Raphael to Barrons. Now I might have to add another series to my already towering TBR list. ;)

      Delete
    4. Oh, Raphael is by far the scariest Alpha I've read. He makes Barrons and Curran look like pussycats in comparison, IMO. I'm not saying he's a better alpha, just scarier.

      Delete
  5. Love your post Amanda,I enjoyed the books very much and waiting anxiously for Jason's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Merit! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Archangel's Storm. Review coming soon!

      Delete
  6. I'm halfway through book 3 and I'm loving them! I thought I'd be done by now, ready for the new book, but I'm getting there :) I find that I not only like the stories and love the characters but I love how Elena and Raphael are together. Despite their fears, despite disagreements or arguments or their lives getting in the way, they are still devoted to each other, and I just love that! Reminds me of Cat & Bones and part of why I love them so much too; the devotion! Gives hope to real life too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me realize I need to reread these books before picking up the newest one! I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed them. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turns out there WILL be another Raphael/Elena book. Nalini Singh's words. And I'm so happy!

    FAQ
    1. Will Elena and Raphael get another book or is their story finished?
    Yes, they will. Their story is definitely not finished!

    2. How many books will there be in the series?
    At present, I'm contracted for four more books after Archangel's Blade.

    3. Do you plan to write books about the Seven?
    Yes, though I'm not sure if I'll write about every one.

    Dmitri's book is titled Archangel's Blade.
    Galen's novella is titled Angels' Dance.

    4. Will Ashwini and Janvier from Angels' Pawn return?
    Yes.

    5. Is the painting Asleep by Gadriel mentioned in Archangel's Blade based on a real painting?
    No. I created it - now someone just has to paint it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well shit. I'm going to have to read these books now. Mainly beacuse of this: "Raphael’s Seven are the 3 vampires and 4 angels that have his back. They are intensely loyal to him, to the point that even Elena has to prove to them that she is worthy of Raphael." I have to read about that now. That was one of my favorite aspects of the BDB series, how the Brothers are so fiercely loyal and devoted to each other. And wonderful side characters can absolutely make or break a series for me. I have often ended up loving side characters more than I love the two main characters in books like these.

    The entire review was awesome, btw! It gave me exactly the information I would want to know before deciding whether or not to indulge in this series, but didn't give any spoilers away...since I'm the exact opposite of Olga Spoho up there :), and hate spoilers. The only other things that I could think of that I'd want to know are if we know how many books will be in the series total and if they end in cliffhangers often. That and the number of books in the series play a big part when I'm deciding if I want to read them or not. Just because my to-read list is so damn huge already, I feel like I have to be careful what series I let myself fall into.

    Now I really, really want to read Guild Hunters. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You Might Want to Read...

Black Dagger Brotherhood: Scenes That Left us Begging for More

A Tribute to The Fiery Cross

When The Music's Over

Dani Mega O'Malley: Superstar

Review: Annihilation (Book and Movie)